I already had most of the supplies, so I decided to try this lesson with my eighth grade 3D elective class with a few modifications. We started using the paper tape that was suggested in the lesson, but then switched over to paper-mache. The paper mache actually worked much better as it was quicker to apply, covered more surface area and went on smoother. It also required a LOT of cups. I must have gone through about 300 cups with my forty students.
My students had a lot of fun with this project. The best part was seeing the variety of ways they decorated the surface of their letters. Once a few kids started using glitter and splattering paint it became contagious!